Specialized Wellness Plans
What Is Acupuncture?
And How Can It Benefit You!
It consists of the insertion of very fine needles into the body, shown to be effective in the treatment of specific health problems. These points have been mapped by the Chinese over a period of 2,000 years and there are more than 1,000 known acupoints. In the past three decades, electromagnetic research has confirmed the existence and location for these points.
What problems can be treated with Acupuncture?
The World Health Organization recognizes acupuncture’s effectiveness for over 40 common disorders such as:
- Ear, nose and throat disorders, toothaches, earaches, sinusitis, rhinitis and laryngitis.
- Respiratory disorders, cold & flu’s, bronchitis, asthma, allergies and emphysema.
- Gastrointestinal disorders, hypertension, high cholesterol, arterisclerosis and angina pectoris.
- Psycho-emotional & neurological disorders, depression, anxiety, insomnia, headaches, trigeminal and intercostal neuralgia, Dizziness and tinnitus.
- Urogenital disorders, cystitis, prostatitis stress incontinence, neurogenic bladder and prosatic hypertrophy.
- Gynecological disorders, menstrual irregularity, endometriosis, PMS and infertility.
- Musculoskeletal disorders, tennis elbow, frozen shoulder, TMJ, sciatica, low back pain, arthritis, fibromyalgia and CTS.
Frequently Asked Questions
Learn How it Works!
What can I expect during my first visit?
Before your acupuncturist inserts any needles, they will conduct a thorough health history. The acupuncturist will cover your personal and family medical history in much the same way a family doctor would. Your practitioner may also ask questions that seem unrelated to your current concern, but which help them understand what is happening in your body. They will then examine you using techniques thousands of years old, to determine the best course of treatment.
How many treatments will I need?
That depends on the duration, severity and nature of your complaint. You may need only a single treatment for an acute condition. A series of 5-10 treatments may resolve many chronic problems. Some degenerative conditions may require many treatments over time. To help reduce the number of treatments, your practitioner may suggest dietary modifications, specific exercise regimens, relations techniques, self-massage, and/or Chinese herbal medicines, all of which may help to increase the efficacy of acupuncture.
About Dr. Mike Coulas
Dr. Mike Coulas has been helping patients and families in Whitby for more than 22 years and is extremely passionate about chiropractic care and wellness, and enjoys helping patients achieve lasting results.
- Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College, Doctorate, with both clinical and academic honours in 1997
- Acupuncture Certified by the Acupuncture Council of Ontario
- Reconnective Healing Certified Levels 1, 2 and 3
- Reiki Level 1
- York University, Kinesiology and Health Sciences
- Certified Fitness and Exercise Counselor
At Awakened Life Chiropractic and Wellness Centre we are focused on nurturing the three pillars of wellness; your body, mind and spirit. Your mental and emotional state and your beliefs play into the success of your physical healing.
Wellness is not just the body, it’s the connection of all three the mind, body and spirit.
A health or life challenge can encompass the physical, mental, spiritual, emotional issues and more.
True healing is not about a healing of specific symptoms rather it’s a holistic approach returning to balance your mind, body and spirit. This in turn may bring about the healing you desire.
Our goal is to help you on your wellness journey by helping you connect all three pillars, the mind, body, spirit, so you can achieve full healing. Awakened Life Chiropractic and Wellness Centre provides Chiropractic and Acupuncture treatments and helps you on your journey to wellness with preventative care options offering nutritional, dietary and lifestyle Wellness Coaching.
Ready For Health & Wellness?
Get started today with a complimentary consultation with Dr. Mike Coulas.